Few people know that a small industrial railway line operated in Heraklion for almost 15 years. Its remains are still preserved somewhere on the city beach.
This railway line was the only one that ever existed in all of Crete from the early 1920s until 1937 to transport stones for construction of a large pier in the port of Heraklion. The train carrying the materials started from the area of Halepa Kefalogianni (Treis Vagies). They write that an old lime kiln from the time of the construction of the pier has even been preserved in this area. The railroad ended after the Kules fortress in the port. Its total length was 6 km, and it had a meter gauge.
The idea of creating the railway, the so-called “dekovil” – ντεκοβίλ, belonged to the civil engineer and rector of the Athens National Technical University Nikolaos Kitsikis, who led the construction of the port in Heraklion. Having arrived in Heraklion from the capital, he took care of finding and delivering the most suitable stones for the city port.